I am totally overwhelmed by the positive responses I’ve received about posting recipes on Henry Mack’s Blog! Thank you for your kind words. Since so many have asked for green smoothie recipes, and it’s the best way to start the day, or anything, I’ll start with it.
Mary’s Sunrise Smoothie Blueprint
I make some variation of this smoothie about 5 mornings a week. I go organic here as much as possible. Makes about 5-6 cups.
- 1 1/2 cups raw orange juice (sometimes I use apple juice if I’m feeling crazy)
- 1 cup sliced cucumber (skin on if organic)
- 3 cups lettuces and greens (herbs, romaine, spring mix, baby spinach, chard, kale, etc) mix it up.
- 2 cups frozen fruit (mango, pineapple, peach, and strawberry are my favorite)
Add-ins (Pick 1-5 from this list. I change my add-in’s all the time depending on what’s popular, what I have in my cupboard, and how I’m feeling):
- ripe banana
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed or hempseed
- scoop of fruit and vegetable powder with probiotics (I like the one from Divine Nature)
- scoop of protein powder (I like the total nutrition from Divine Nature or a powder pumpkin seed protein)
- 1 teaspoon Bee Pollen
- 1 teaspoon Chlorella powder
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- omega 3 oil or high quality fish oil (I like the children’s IQ mega oil from DoTerra)
- 1/2 cup whole milk yogurt
Things I do NOT add-in:
- the same greens every day. Greens, like spinach, have trace amounts of toxicity. It isn’t a problem when cooked, but if you have cups of raw spinach everyday, (esp broken down in a blender) it can be a problem. Lettuce is fine to eat everyday, but vary your hearty leafy greens. I only put spinach in my smoothies about once every other week.
- peppers, squashes, cabbage, broccoli, or mushrooms (I save those for stir-fries)
- un-soaked chia seeds (if you are going to use them, soak them in water or juice for at least 15 min!!)
- spirulina. My sister’s biology teacher said it was bad so I don’t eat it.
- grains- like rolled oats or something
Put everything in a very good blender and blend until completely smooth. Divide up among your lucky breakfast companions or freeze any extra for another day.
Drink up my friends!
Disclaimer. I cannot be held responsible for anything that might happen to your blender or your smoothie if you attempt to make this concoction with a weak blender.