Women often ask me what face products I use. What do I do for my skin? It’s always a bit surprising and a lot flattering when I’m asked. I usually stutter out something vague. The reason I hum and hah is not to be insulting or secretive, but because I am not the authority on this subject and it’s also a long answer. I do lots of things and I think that all sorts of things manifest in our skin—stress, hormones, diet, emotion, air factors, etc.
Recent picture. Unedited. Unadulterated skin. After a day of traveling. Tired momma. Honest truth here. Also White House in the background so that’s cool.
Below I have tried to the best of my ability to write down my CURRENT face care regime. All things written below are my OPINION. Take it as you will and read on if you dare.
- Diet and Exercise. This is a huge factor. I exercise about 20-30 minutes almost every day. When I limit sugar and animal products, it makes a huge difference in my skin—a shockingly big difference in the brightness and moisture of my skin. The more green I eat, the more lovely my skin. I don’t joke about these things. (also soda bad, water good.)
- Sleep. Often a work in progress.
- NuFace. A.K.A. The Face Taser. I love this little machine. It’s like a face lift without the surgery. I use this a couple times a week because I’m lazy, the more often the better.
- A Retin-A 0.05% (Tretinoin). This is a prescription cream. Retin-A is used to treat acne and wrinkles. And it actually works. I put a tiny bit on my face every other night before night cream.
- SUNSCREEN. Everyday. Rain or shine. Put it on. Also wear a hat. Just do it. My favorite face sunscreen is Trish McEvoy Beauty Booster Cream SPF 30. It goes on so smooth and feels great. works well under all makeup or without makeup.
- I am into Origins brand lotions and creams lately. I love the Ginzing Eyecream for daytime. Also the Charcoal Mask, which I’ll do a couple times a month. I use this night cream. Sometimes (like when I get hormone changes at certain times of the month. ahem.) I will use some of the Beauty Counter Balancing Oil
- Washing. I wash my face morning and night. Morning I wash the sleep away with water. That’s it. Just a good rinse off. Night is a deeper clean, but if use too many chemicals, my skin isn’t happy. I have a rotation of gentle to deep and I rotate between these three things: the Norwex body wash cloth, Beauty Counter Cleansing Balm (I LOVE THIS STUFF), Dr. Dennis Gross Daily face peel. (I also have a Clarisonic brush in my shower that I use twice a week for a good scrub down).
I know how this looks and a part of me cringes even admitting to this long list, but it’s the truth and I really like these products and I think I’ve hit on a good routine for my skin—it looks better than I can ever remember it looking. These products are expensive, but I think it’s worth it, esp since they last a long time and I don’t let any go to waste.
What are your face care favorites? I would sincerely love love to know.